Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wednesday words

Failure is often seen as a disgrace in our culture, but if we watch children trying and failing and trying again as they master their milestones, we realize that each failure teaches us how to be better, stronger, more competent.

This article is an interesting examination of the link between creativity and risk taking, and its accompanying failure. The author shows how the most creative people not only fail, they fail often. Creative fails are stepping stones. There may be people who design a quilt, or a painting, or any other creative endeavor, and then follow the project through to completion exactly per the design. For me the design is more of a guideline than a rule, to quote pirate captain Barbossa. Often the elements I like best when the project is finished are the creative leaps I had to take in response to failures in the original design, or failures in my ability to execute the design. 

I guess for me failure is only failure when it is accepted as the end result, and not part of the creative process, maybe even a very necessary part of the creative process. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment